I had this awesome vase that I filled with sea shells I collect, but it wasn’t very practical to just be sitting around in my small living room. So I went on a mission to make it into a lamp!
What You’ll Need:
- The basic lamp kits that you buy at Lowe’s and you may need a harp depending on your lamp shade.
- Something to use as a base – mine is the vase full of shells!
- A styrofoam cone – I got mine at AC Moore
- Serrated Knife
- Brown paper bag (i used a grocery paper bag)
- Foam brush
- screw driver/pencil (something to put a hole in the foam!)
- super glue
- lamp shade of your choice
find out how wide the top of your base is before you go to the craft store to buy a styrofoam cone. I bought a 9″x4″ cone so it would stick out of the top of the bottle a little bit!
ONE: You can follow the directions for the faux cork blog that I listed above if you’d like. Here’s what I did:
- measure how much of the styrofoam cone you need for your “cork”
- use the serrated knife to cut off the styrofoam you need
- tear the paper bag into pieces between 3/4″ and 1″ with rough edges
- coat the front and back of the paper bag pieces with modpodge and stick them to the styrofoam cone
- continue to coat and stick the paper pieces around the cone except for the bottom
- I set mine outside to dry in the sun for about half an hour then finished coating the bottom
- let the modpodge dry thoroughly before continuing
TWO: Once you’ve let your faux cork dry the fun begins!
- Stick a screw driver (or a pencil) in the middle of the top, poke a hole about 1/2 way through the cork, doesn’t have to be exact just wide enough to thread the lamp cord through.
- 1/2 way down on the side of the cork poke a hole angled up a little to meet up with the hole you made on top.
- add the metal piece included with the kit in the top hole and thread the cord through the side and out the top, like this:
- assemble the rest of the lamp kit as directed by the kit package instructions!
- I added super glue where the metal rod is in the top of the faux cork to stabilize it a little. Once I put the lamp shade on it was a little wobbly. So the super glue helped!
- should come out looking like this:
Hope you enjoyed it!
I’ll be back soon with the second part of my easy fall decorations, mean while check out the first part!
Connect with me on Social Media:
Love it? Share it!