Holiday Gift Idea!
Here is a great and easy holiday gift idea for all of you, painted coffee mugs!
These are a simple and quick craft to give as a gift or to add to your own collection of coffee mugs.
I’ve actually had these mugs for 5+ years, I picked them up at T.J. Maxx when I got my first apartment. They ran me about $2.99/mug. I decided to use gold spray paint since I already had some (and because I love gold). I also had painters tape around my house, but you can use masking tape or scotch tape as long as you make sure the tape is on the mug real tight!
What You’ll Need:
- Coffee Mugs from dollar store/tj maxx/goodwill
- Spray paint, color of your choice
- Clear ceramic sealer, gloss or matte for your personal needs
- Painters tape or any tape of your choice
- Tinfoil, but you can get creative with whatever you have!
STEP 1: Tape off whatever pattern you’d like on your mug.
- for taping:
- Leave about 1/2″ lip at the top unpainted so you do not touch paint while you sip.
- Creating perfectly horizontal lines all the way around the cup is difficult if the mug is smaller at the bottom like mine are, stick with more simple shapes and lines.
- Use a pattern or shape that will look good even if it’s not exactly the same on every mug
STEP 2: Cover the top of the mug with tinfoil so that no spray paint accidentally gets inside the mug.
STEP 3: Spray paint the mugs, according the directions, outdoors or in a well ventilated area.
STEP 4: After the spray paint has dried, spray the clear sealer over the painted section.
CLEANING: Hand wash only, simply wipe over the painted section, do not let sit in water or any liquid.
That’s all there is to it! So simple and such a cute gift for friends, maybe fill one with hot chocolate ingredients and stick in a cute gift bag!
Love it? Share it!